CEBA Update: Availability and Extension

The Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) has played a crucial role in supporting Canadian businesses throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. This program offers interest-free loans to eligible businesses, providing much-needed financial assistance during these challenging times. In this blog, we will discuss the current availability and extension of CEBA, shedding light on recent updates and their implications for businesses across the country.

CEBA’s Purpose

CEBA was initially introduced to provide financial support to businesses when the pandemic first struck. It was designed to help businesses cover various operational expenses, preserving jobs and business continuity during these uncertain times.

Updates to CEBA Availability

Since its inception, CEBA has undergone several updates to make it more widely available and adaptable to changing circumstances. These updates have included:

Original Eligibility Criteria: Initially, businesses needed to demonstrate a payroll between $20,000 and $1.5 million in 2019 to qualify for CEBA. Alternatively, they could prove eligible non-deferrable expenses between $40,000 and $1.5 million in 2020.

Accessible Through Financial Institutions: CEBA loans are available through Canadian financial institutions, making the application process more convenient for businesses.

Loan Forgiveness: A significant feature introduced was the potential for loan forgiveness. If businesses repaid 75% of the loan by a specific date, the remaining 25% could be forgiven, effectively converting a portion of the loan into a grant.

CEBA Extension

Recognizing the prolonged economic challenges posed by the pandemic, the government extended CEBA to accommodate more businesses. The extension included:

Application Deadline Extension: The government extended the CEBA application deadline multiple times to allow more eligible businesses to apply for financial support. This acknowledged that economic recovery would take longer than initially anticipated.

Revised Eligibility Criteria: The government updated the eligibility criteria to expand access to more businesses. These changes allowed a broader range of businesses to benefit from CEBA support.

Additional Financing: CEBA expanded to include an additional $20,000 interest-free loan for eligible businesses, increasing the total loan amount to $60,000.

Impact on Loan Forgiveness: As the program evolved, the extension also impacted loan forgiveness terms. Businesses now have more time to meet the requirements for loan forgiveness.

Current Availability and Deadline

As of the most recent updates, CEBA is still available to eligible businesses and nonprofit organizations. The application deadline has been extended to March 31, 2023, providing a significant window for eligible entities to apply for financial support.

Eligibility Criteria

The eligibility criteria were revised to include a broader spectrum of businesses. As of the last update in January 2022, here are the primary eligibility criteria:

Payroll Requirement: Businesses must demonstrate a payroll between $20,000 and $1.5 million in 2019. This requirement enables many businesses, particularly small and medium-sized enterprises, to qualify.

Non-Deferrable Expenses: Alternatively, businesses can demonstrate eligible non-deferrable expenses between $40,000 and $1.5 million in 2020. This criteria provides flexibility for businesses with varying financial structures.

Additional Financing: CEBA now offers an additional $20,000 loan, bringing the total loan amount to $60,000. This additional financing aims to provide businesses with more comprehensive support.

CEBA Loan Forgiveness

A major attraction of the CEBA program is the potential for loan forgiveness. As of the last update, if a business repays 75% of the loan by December 31, 2022, the remaining 25% can be forgiven. This means that a significant portion of the loan effectively becomes a non-repayable grant.

Seeking Professional Guidance

For businesses navigating the complexities of CEBA, seeking professional advice is highly recommended. Financial advisors, accountants, and legal experts can provide insights tailored to a business’s unique financial situation and help make well-informed decisions regarding CEBA application and loan forgiveness.


CEBA has been a lifeline for numerous businesses across Canada, offering vital financial assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic. The program’s availability and extension have adapted to the evolving economic landscape, making it more accessible to a broader range of businesses. The March 31, 2023, application deadline provides ample time for eligible businesses and nonprofit organizations to take advantage of this support. Understanding the eligibility criteria, loan forgiveness terms, and seeking professional guidance are essential steps to making the most of CEBA’s availability and extension. This program remains a crucial resource for businesses striving to overcome the financial challenges brought about by the ongoing pandemic.

Leave a Reply